Cooking

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Cooking

Postby pmcolt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:02 am

Is not something I seem capable of doing. From time to time I've thought about learning, and since I've gotten an apartment of my own, the thought had crossed my mind again recently.

On the other hand, since I've moved into this apartment, I've managed to:
- destroy packaged cookie dough. Burnt on one side, raw on the other. On average, it turned out well.
- destroy packaged crescent rolls. Black on one side, raw in the middle.
- ruin crescent dogs. Black on one side, watery in the middle.
- set microwave popcorn on fire. Twice.
- overcook packaged chicken strips in the microwave. The smell of buffalo sauce was pretty overwhelming.

I'm almost afraid to move from the oven or microwave to the stovetop. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen if I do. Cooking can't exactly be rocket science, can it?
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:31 am

I'm sorry, but that's pretty damn funny!

Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:09 am

I used to bake stuff when I was a kid, of course mom was hovering.

I am a pretty darn good cook now, but I had to start somewhere. Back in college, when I first found myself having to make my own food, I had to improvise.

You should be able to make soup. Even in a sauce pan. You open up a can of Campbells soup and dump it into the pan. Then fill the empty can with water and dump that in the pan too. (Assuming your soup is like mine). Then heat it up until hot. Stir it often to keep the bottom from sticking. DOn;t max the heat, medium or medium high is enough.

Read the label, some soup wants milk instead of water.

Now back to my story. I knew how to make a can of tomato soup OK. One day I got the idea to throw a handful of minute rice into the pan with the soup. AMAZING!!! I had just invented Spanish Rice. I've had better, but I was pretty pleased with myself.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: Cooking

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:06 am

pmcolt wrote: Cooking can't exactly be rocket science, can it?

No but it can be rocket salad . . . I'll get me coat.

Cooling is easier without a microwave, stick to an oven or stovetop.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Enzo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:29 am

Cooling? I'd have to agree, the microwave won;t be much help there.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby hippietrekx » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:08 am

Maybe you need some ovaries? I've been in my apartment for a month now, and I'm doing pretty well.

Made some pre-package cookies. Made home-made pizza, made some chicken and mushroom and vegetable dish sauteed in white wine (DAMN GOOD), pea-mushroom-grain patties, grain-carrot-rice soup, grilled cheese, hash browns, bacon and jasmine rice stuffed cabbage...

And before a month ago I couldn't make tomato soup from a can (ask jimmy...).

Maybe you don't NEED to cook enough yet. eventually you'll do it out of desperation.

--Dom
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:53 pm

You're making me hungry, hippie. :lol:
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:34 pm

Keep it up, pmolt. I charred my first fried eggs, my first fish, I let a chicken soup go sour, etc., but after two years in my first flat (what you call appartment), I invited friends for a 12 course dinner, and they neither laughed nor puked.

Get a good basic cookbook, pay some attention, and get away from thinking that a stove at full blast will get the job done better than a stove at half throttle.

I agree with Heid on the microwave. I haven't owned one in 40 years, and I don't miss a thing.

Ovaries are no requirement for cooking. Cojones will be just fine.
Last edited by Arneb on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Arneb wrote:I invited friends for a 12 course dinner, and they neither laughed nor puked.

Wow, it must have been quick. :P

:glp-hiding:
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby hippietrekx » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:58 am

Arneb wrote:Ovaries are no requirement for cooking. Cojones will be just fine.

Oh, I didn't intend to imply they were needed for cooking. Just that maybe pmcolt should give ovaries a try, since his cojones don't seem to be getting the job done.

--Dom
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby pmcolt » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:46 am

hippietrekx wrote:since his cojones don't seem to be getting the job done

If I had a nickel for every woman who thought that...

I suspect that the oven temperature reading is incorrect. In the past week I lowered the oven temperature about 25°F while baking, and everything seems to come out better. Doesn't explain my microwave mishaps, but it's an encouraging sign.

So i bought a skillet and a 1-qt pot this weekend. Whenever I'm feeling brave enough, I'm going to try grilled cheese. Then soup. Then, whenever I find an oriental store in the area, rice. I haven't decided what to fix with the rice yet, but one step at a time.

(These are things that I've never managed to screw up at home, so... I'm hopeful. Now if I could just get back into the habit of washing the dishes when I'm finished.)
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby troubleagain » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Spaghetti and sauce are easy, too. Chili. Roasts. If you know someone with a slow-cooker they're not using, there are lots of good ways to use those, too.
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:31 am

Yeah, pasta is simple - spaghetti, macaroni, them twisted noodle things

Just use a large pot of water for your pasta. SO many people put barely enough water to cover the noodles, and then it cooks into sludge.

I find some pasta sauce is pretty good right out of the jar. Even the Ragu and Prego ones are OK, I like the Classico brand sauces myself. And franly at the bottom end price-wise is hte cans of Del Monte sauce, but their garlic variety I think tastes good.

And the original simple dish - hamburger helper. But I don;t buy that brand, I just make up a box of macaroni and cheese - follow the box directions - and while that is boiling, I use my skillet to brown up some ground beef. When the macaroni is done and drained, and I have mixed in the flavor pouch plus butter and mik, then I stir the ground beef into the pot with the macaroni. Voila!

I am not one to stop there, I always chop up an onion into the burger and chop up some jalapeno peppers in there, they cook along with the beef.

And a bazillion college students can;t be wrong, get some packets of Ramen Noodles. Boil up some water, dump the stuff in, cover and take off the heat - better yet... follow the package directions.

And sriracha sauce from that oriental grocery livens everything up, in my view.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Oh, I think the boxed brand-name "Hamburger Helper" is VILE, but I agree about mac-n-cheese with various meats added. I like to add tuna to mine.
-------------------
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:52 pm

troubleagain wrote:I like to add tuna to mine.

:shock:
:glp-yak:
:GAAH:
:goodbye:
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby troubleagain » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:56 pm

Heh. TUNA? You don't like TUNA. Oh, I love TUNA. LOTS and lots of TUNA. TUNA salad, TUNA steaks, TUNA casserole....

Mmmmmm....TUNA.
-------------------
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:56 pm

Tuna is okay. Tuna salad, tuna sandwiches, tomato stuffed with tuna, tuna and cottage cheese... Yummy! But do you notice a trend?

Tuna should never, ever, EVAR be hot, or on anything hot, or IN anything hot, or NEAR anything hot, with the exception of maybe, toast.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:46 am

I loved tuna-noodle casserole as a kid, and I still like it. We called it toodle-noodle a lot - we were so clever then. I usually have saltine crackers with it. Sorta reminds me of the crust on top of the baked casserole.

I make mac and cheese with tuna as often as with burger. That's my version of toodle-noodle these days. Make up a box of mac and cheese, drain a can of tuna and toss most of it in. STir. Sometimes I add in a half a can of peas. The hot noodles and cheese warm the tuna and peas.

I always get canned tuna in water, as opposed to in oil. I open the can, use the lid to hold the tuna meat in and drain the fluid into a bowl. Lemme tell ya, my cat goes nuts. He smells that from a dead sleep. By the time I have the can opener half way around the can, a little furry face is poked up next to my leg. MEw mew mew mew mew.

SO I give him abiout half of the tuna water in a little bowl, and boy does he purr. He gets the rest later, but I don;t want tuna water barf on my floor. Of course now the cat associates can opener with tuna water. So ANY time I open a can, a get the furry face really interested. Then as I hold down the can of pinto beans for his inspection, he gets a "well, what is THIS" expression, and wanders off. Corn is almost interesting for some reason. Tomato sauce, not so much.

In the store, next to the canned tuna and salmon, there are these pouches of tuna and salmon filets. I find them pretty tasty. Heated in the microwave for me. They come in flavors, I am partial to the teriyaki salmon. Good with steamed rice, thoug I imagine one could add it to a salad of some sort.

In a similar package, my wife got me a "filet" of Spam for one of my anniversathon gifts.

And of course nice fresh tuna is one of my favorite sushi choices, along with yellow tail and eel.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Lance wrote:Tuna is okay. Tuna salad, tuna sandwiches, tomato stuffed with tuna, tuna and cottage cheese... Yummy! But do you notice a trend?

Tuna should never, ever, EVAR be hot, or on anything hot, or IN anything hot, or NEAR anything hot, with the exception of maybe, toast.

I SO disagree. :lol:
-------------------
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Mmmmh,tuna a la plancha.... =P~
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:46 am

The tuna that was always swimming after windmills?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Arneb » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 pm

The one :D
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby pmcolt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:55 am

:lol:

Tuna does not belong on anything hot; I'll agree with Lance on this one. Toasted bread is the exception. Though I can't eat seafood anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Still have not found an oriental store, so no rice. Someone told me that you can buy 20-lb bags of jasmine rice at BJ's, but I don't have a membership there. (And... BJ's? Someone named a chain of wholesale outlets "BJ's"?) So I may try the hamburger helper idea instead.

I've also learned that, just because I'm too lazy to wash a baking sheet, it doesn't mean that I should use a skillet in the oven instead. The insulated handle doesn't do much good in there.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Arneb » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:33 pm

No no, not "on" anything hot. Buy a good, fat tuna steak and steam it in white wine for 15 min or fry it with just a bit of olive oil and very gently in a frying pan. Rice, cooked in vegetable broth and with a bit of curry. Steamed broccoli. You get the idea.

Or, if it has to be canned tuna, try pasta with homemade tomato sauce sexed up with a few green olives and half a can of tuna meat.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:42 am

Toodle Noodle with tomato sauce??????
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Next

Return to Here There Be Llamas