Finally made it there.

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Finally made it there.

Postby St. Jimmy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 am

Finally made it to college, I am officially a student at Eastern Michigan University. Today was move in day for incoming freshmen to kick off orientation weekend. My roommate is moving in tomorrow because he's an upperclassman which made move-in easy and convenient for me. I've got most everything set up, except for a few little things I've gotta go back home and get.

I've met a few people on my floor that I've already made friends with: Jacob and Brandon. They're video game geeks like me. :) Met a few other people, who I don't remember at the moment.

Throughout the day I had sit through lectures about "why am I here," "welcome to the rest of your life," and "this is what to expect." Had a few minor activities, and the Football game versus the Army, which we lost 13-27. Sports Illustrated preview has Eastern finishing 114 out of 120, and I can see why. After the game we had floor meetings, were my floor's Resident Advisers told us about rules and such in the dorm. Some great advice like, "I don't care how long it's been for you, or if those are some 'fine-ass bitches' in your room. If I'm [the RA] not getting any, I better not hear you getting any."

Ypsilanti is a huge difference from my old small town. I'll have to get use to hearing police sirens every twenty minutes, I guess. One thing that I wont mind getting used to is that I don't have to drive 30 minutes away to get things I need.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:11 am

And if you lose it, Ypsi has the loony bin. or used to anyway.

Way to go Jimmy, it will be an adventure, it will be interesting, it will be frustrating, and if you are going to get anything out of it, it will be work. but you will find things you never thought about before, you can even take classes about things you never heard of.

I took a course in air photo interpretation. I couldn;t resist. it was darn interesting to me. We studied photos of the ground taken from airplanes. You can determine crops grown in fields, you can map elevations by comparing stereo views, and so on. Never would have dreamed of it until I got to college.

I went to college as a physics major, but discovered show business. WHo knew? My advisor's office was in the cyclotron building. A small facility back then, now a world class atom smashing facility. After a couple years I left the physics program to go into telecommunication. And now 40 some years later, I have been trying to get a job at that cyclotron. Not as a physicist, but as a technician. I won;t get it, but I keep applying.

Still, this science nerd fresh out of high school would never have imagined himself as a radio disc jockey, and yet, there I was. I found out I really loved geomorphology, and took several courses in that.

SO a big school like Ypsi is going to offer you many opportunities to explore new things. Do it.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby St. Jimmy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:21 am

I'm going to be taking Fundamental of Speech, Fundamentals of Acting, American Government, and Philosophy of Religion this first semester. I have an interest in all of those classes except Fundamentals of Speech, but it's required.

I met some party friends today. There's a small one tonight, I might go, but I'm not sure. If there's alcohol or anything I probably won't go cause I don't wanna get in trouble. My room apparently is gonna be the official party room of Wise Hall because I have surround sound and a lot of space. So I guess that's cool.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 am

Do yourself a favor, establish control over your room from the start. it is great to have people want to be there, but they can easily take over if you let them. Just when you want to crash, three guys show up ready for all night Play Station or whatever. STand firm and tell them you are going to bed, sorry. I'm not being an old fuck telling you not to party, just do it on your terms, it is your room after all. If you let them take over at first, it is really hard to gain control back. If you don;t want certain activities going on in there, say so, don;t be shy. Smoking, drinking, drugs, tuba jam sessions, whatever. "Hey man, take that out in the hall."

Seriously, been there... and got it out of control.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:27 am

To echo Enzo, it is fine to be the party room, but when the cops come to the door and everyone else has legged it you are standing next to the bong and your bed has the vomit covered waster on it.

No, I'm not bitter that I was 29 and married before I went to uni and that I spent my teenage years working in a bank . . .
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Enzo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:17 am

I remember one party in an apartment building. Pretty good party, kinda loud. There was a knock at the door. Me being near it and not so inhibited, I yelled, "Come on in unless you are the police." And no one came through the door. So I opened the door to look out, and sure enough, there were two police officers. Fortunately they had some sense of humor about it and thought my line was funny. Funny enough anyway. They suggested we quiet down some, it was late. SO we did.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 am

Enzo wrote:I remember one party in an apartment building. Pretty good party, kinda loud. There was a knock at the door. Me being near it and not so inhibited, I yelled, "Come on in unless you are the police." And no one came through the door. So I opened the door to look out, and sure enough, there were two police officers. Fortunately they had some sense of humor about it and thought my line was funny. Funny enough anyway. They suggested we quiet down some, it was late. SO we did.

Was there anything in the apartment that would have presented a serious problem, if the police had come in?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:58 pm

Well, the women were all old enough. There was probably some pot smoking going on, but I was never into that. I don;t think they were looking for trouble, just wanted us to pipe down.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:21 am

Enzo wrote:Well, the women were all old enough. There was probably some pot smoking going on, but I was never into that. I don;t think they were looking for trouble, just wanted us to pipe down.

I once spoke to a former police officer who talked about this issue. Under the rules of evidence in the US, when responding to a noise complaint, they could not enter the premises unless there were some additional evidence of wrong-doing, or if they had permission to enter. Standard practice was apparently just to ask, is it OK if I have a look around? He told me it was amazing how many people answered "yes," when there was open drug use going on inside. All they had to do was say, "no," but they didn't.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:19 am

I have the right to remain silent....

fat chance of that.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby St. Jimmy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 am

I had a small movie get together with about 5 people. We watched Pineapple Express. Funny movie. I'm meeting people like crazy. It just boggles my mind all the people that I get along with, and am just like, "omg, there's my new best friend." It's kinda nice. well I got my very first college class ever tomorrow morning at 9:30, so I'm gonna get some sleep.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:17 am

We continue to expect full reports, you know.

"what did you learn in school today?"

"I don't know, what?"
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby St. Jimmy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:23 am

Today I learned...professors like to be called by their first name.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:38 am

"so... Bob... what would be the square root of Japan, then?"
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby St. Jimmy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:54 pm

last night/today I learned, that I suck at beer pong, and jello shots are the best invention ever. I also learned what a bad hangover feels like. :ut-beers:
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:36 am

AH yes, the bad hangover.

Feeling queasy still? How about a nice tuna fish and dish soap omelet?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby St. Jimmy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:08 am

I'm better now. Waking up was odd....I woke up and had no idea where I was, and I was lying under a blanket on a couch cuddling a girl. For about three minutes I was freaking out until I started getting more alert and remembering what happened. I was at a house right on the edge of the ghetto and that's why we stayed the night there, and I was lying next to my friend Rikki, because she drank too much and I took care of her and made sure no one took advantage of her and stuff. At the end of the night I had drank somewhere between 15-20 jello shots, and had three beers. I learned today, to never party when you have classes the next morning....
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:33 am

St. Jimmy wrote:I woke up and had no idea where I was, and I was lying under a blanket on a couch cuddling a girl.

How awful.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 am

Damn, first day on the job...

I remember I used to wake up cuddling. Just me...

Man o man, if I had the line of BS I have now back then...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:17 am

They let girls into college! :shock:
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Enzo » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:56 pm

When I went to college, we could not have women in the residence haall at all. There were something like three weekends per semester when women were allowed in the dorm, presumably mainly relatives and family, but mostly guys letting their girlfriends visit. But when a woman entered the hall, it had to be announced. And whatever room they visited in had to have the door remain open. (There was some standard about what constituted "open") And they even had the "three foot" rule. When you were sitting with a woman, three of your collective four feet had to be on the floor at any time. Visiting hours were limited to some afternoon time.

Sigh, those were the days.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:They let girls into college! :shock:
:-s [-X
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:09 pm

At St. Jimmy's request, a number of posts about proofs of the existence of God were split off to a new thread.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 am

If there really was a god, wouldn;t he have split the thread already? Hmmm?

Ergo (insert favorite conclusion here)
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:37 am

Enzo wrote:If there really was a god, wouldn;t he have split the thread already? Hmmm?

Perhaps I am God's thread-splitting agent.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Next

Return to Here There Be Llamas