Now I've heard it all

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Re: Now I've heard it all

Postby Lance » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:41 am

And a button.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Wait until they dig up a skeleton of a pig, or whatever else fell down a sink hole and got buried. They'll be claiming evidence of a sacrifice or maybe just that pirates buried pigs with their treasure.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm

What are your thoughts on the submerged/buried channels that bring seawater into the pit area? They did actually find those.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:14 pm

No idea, I am not involved in it enough to follow them. I did see them with some sort of drainage system drawing, I suspect that is what you describe. Seems to me there is some narrowing of the island in the center, and they described a sort of bay that was walled off and has filled in. perhaps these things were part of their method of draining the swamp, as it were. Did I hear them espouse some theory about pulling a ship into that lagoon, walling it off from the sea, and then...whatever they decided it was done for?

But like so many of those shows, they talk about some really deep pit they expect holds treasure, then we see some surfacce feature or near surface feature, that would seem to have zero to do with deep buried treasure, et voila, it becomes some sort of evidence.

Every now and then I pause there for a moment or two, so I only gather little bits of it. I see the ever-blank expressioned bearded guy mildly claiming enthusiasm and I move on.

But I suppose I prefer him over the two morons with metal detectors. Two minutes with those guys, and I want to hide in the barn. The one fellow jumps up and screams like a five year old at Xmas if he finds a coin in a farmyard. To hear him, you;d think he just found all the art the Nazis stole in WW2.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:49 am

The one thing I have noticed that all these "in search of the greatest thing ever" shows all have in common is that they never seem to quite find it.

Even Josh Gates is getting a little disappointing lately and he's a real, credentialed archeologist who doesn't search for insane things.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enzo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:04 am

The gold guys never seem to get rich, they seem to fix their machines a lot. I don't know what the tree cutting guys do. The fishing boat seems to do nothing but dump crabs out of the cages onto the deck. The moonshiners occasionally get busted, sometimes they deliver a few gallons, sometimes their still gets raided and desttroyed. The UFO guys are patting themselves ont he back because the government finally "admitted" they had an air base at area 51, but they find nothing, The various mountain man shows all follow a guy walking around the woods. The ghost guys never find anything.

But then if you set out to find bigfoot and on week two you do, there is n't much of a show left. The shows all follow the same formula.

Like the various serials like Walkign Dead all have the same formula. I was just thinking esarlier, the bad guy in that show, the smug leader with the baseball bat, he is the same as a bad guy on Professional Wrestling..They want you to hate him, and you watch to see him ultimately get hos just rewards, but he never does. Until they one day burn him off, and just replace him with another bad guy character.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lianachan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:27 am

Lance wrote:Even Josh Gates is getting a little disappointing lately and he's a real, credentialed archeologist who doesn't search for insane things.

:shock:
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lance » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Enzo wrote:The gold guys never seem to get rich, they seem to fix their machines a lot. I don't know what the tree cutting guys do. The fishing boat seems to do nothing but dump crabs out of the cages onto the deck. The moonshiners occasionally get busted, sometimes they deliver a few gallons, sometimes their still gets raided and desttroyed. The UFO guys are patting themselves ont he back because the government finally "admitted" they had an air base at area 51, but they find nothing, The various mountain man shows all follow a guy walking around the woods. The ghost guys never find anything.

But then if you set out to find bigfoot and on week two you do, there is n't much of a show left. The shows all follow the same formula.

Like the various serials like Walkign Dead all have the same formula. I was just thinking esarlier, the bad guy in that show, the smug leader with the baseball bat, he is the same as a bad guy on Professional Wrestling..They want you to hate him, and you watch to see him ultimately get hos just rewards, but he never does. Until they one day burn him off, and just replace him with another bad guy character.

Exactly. Some of the gold guys have been doing pretty well lately though. The young guy is raking in the millions. The fat, bearded one keeps coming back from the brink of disaster.

Lianachan wrote:
Lance wrote:Even Josh Gates is getting a little disappointing lately and he's a real, credentialed archeologist who doesn't search for insane things.

:shock:

Uh oh. No? Should I not respect him either?

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enzo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Don't know Gates, but credentialed isn't a guarantee. Comes to mind John Mack, professor at Harvard Medical, who believed in Alien Abductions.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:23 pm

Okay, good point. Let me rephrase it: He's never seemed like a whack-job to me.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:12 am

Okay, never mind. I take it back. I had completely forgotten about his shows Destination Truth and Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lance » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:56 pm

What ever happened on Oak Island, it was unlikely to be a sinkhole. The below is based on my own original research.

There are 2 kinds of sinkholes; cover-collapse, and subsidence. Cover-collapse sinkholes happen when water erodes limestone and the top caves in. These often happen quickly and without warning. Oak Island is glacial till, not limestone. It isn't prone to that kind of sinkhole. Subsidence sinkholes can and do happen in glacial till but take a long time to form and don't just fall out from under your feet.

Based on this, I no longer believe the the Oak Island / Sinkhole theory.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enzo » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:56 am

My theory is that the whole Oak Island thing is just an excuse to drag your eyes to the screen. If anything of substance was ever found, it would have been publicized.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 pm

Enzo wrote:My theory is that the whole Oak Island thing is just an excuse to drag your eyes to the screen.

Of course. No one disagrees with that.

Enzo wrote:If anything of substance was ever found, it would have been publicized.

Their substantial finds ARE being publicized. They've been finding more and more.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby g-one » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:49 pm

Enzo wrote:If anything of substance was ever found, it would have been publicized.

And they wouldn't be able to keep such discoveries quiet, as it's not a live show, and the news wouldn't wait for the season to catch up. But then again, they do own the island, right?

They have a spinoff now, 'Beyond Oak Island'. I guess since the Knights of the Templar stuff didn't pan out, time to look elsewhere for the holy grail. ;)
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Lianachan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:45 pm

[archaeologist mode]Things in themselves are useless. Only artefacts recovered from secure contexts are of any value, in terms of what can be learned from their discovery. I could go out and bury a 15th C object in the garden right now, but any half-way decent archaeologist who found it wouldn’t date that deposition to the 15th C [/archaeologist mode].
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lance » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:56 am

"Oh thread of old, arise from thy grave!"

I haven't watched the show since about the last time this thread was current. It is, after all, a bunch of hogwash.

But I've heard noises lately that they're finally finding stuff, so I watched a couple of episodes. They've dug a big, dry shaft all the way down, and have just run into a tunnel that predates any of the searcher tunnels.

It's still a bunch of bullshit, but slightly more interesting bullshit.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby g-one » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:42 pm

They've got so much mileage out of Oak Island, it's incredible. If they ever did find anything they would bury it again as it would mean the end of their 'never-ending story'. :D
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Lance » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:24 pm

I think they'll be "looking" right up to the point the ratings start to decline, then they "find" something intriguing. And that may be where we are now.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wring » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:18 pm

did a triple take upon seeing this thread
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Previous

Return to Here There Be Llamas