Alan Smithee

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

Alan Smithee

Postby Мастер » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:00 pm

This is a name that was used (not any more) when a film director was dissatisfied with the film, and successfully convinces a union panel that s/he was not able to exercise creative control. Then the name "Alan Smithee" can be listed in the credits as the director, instead of the director's actual name.

I found this in the Wikipedia page for "Alan Smithee".

In 1998, the film An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn was released, in which a man named Alan Smithee (Eric Idle) wishes to disavow a film he has directed, but is unable to do so because the only pseudonym he is permitted to use is his own name. The film was directed by Arthur Hiller, who reported to the DGA that producer Joe Eszterhas had interfered with his creative control, and successfully removed his own name from the film, so Alan Smithee was credited instead. The film was a commercial and critical failure, released in only 19 theaters, grossing only $45,779 in the United States with a budget of about $10 million,[8] and Rotten Tomatoes reports an aggregate critical rating of only 8% positive.[9] The movie also won five Golden Raspberry Awards, including Worst Picture, at that year’s event. The harsh negative publicity that surrounded the film drew unwanted mainstream attention to the pseudonym.

You can't make this stuff up.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Alan Smithee

Postby Lianachan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:39 pm

I'm aware of the use of that pseudonym but don't think I've ever heard of that film. Excellent stuff!
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Re: Alan Smithee

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 pm

Lianachan wrote:I'm aware of the use of that pseudonym but don't think I've ever heard of that film. Excellent stuff!

Yes, yes and yes.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Return to Music, Television and The Movies