The Old Days

Great song? Good show? Bad movie? What should be enjoyed and what should be avoided.

The Old Days

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Back before the flood, we had primitive electromechanical devices called “motors”, which are having something of a resurgance in the era of electric vehicles.

In any event, such motors could spin a disc 33, 45, or 78 times per minute, although 78 was early Bronze Age, and my memory only goes back as far as the late Bronze Age.

Such spinning discs could, with clever notched patterns, be used to produce sound waves that were in at least in some cases pleasing to the ears of the Bronze Age humanoids.

Although lacking modern technology we now take for granted, the people of the Bronze Age were, while perhaps primitive, definitely not stupid. Their engineers had even worked out methods for the pattern of sound waves to be repeated endlessly, even as the normal duration of the sound production reached its finite conclusion. Of course now one simply clicks on the “repeat” option, but it was a different era.

One such humanoid, living in exile in a brave new western land, witnessing the early transition into the Iron Age, welcomed the innovation, but nonetheless retained nostalgic memories of a bygone era. Such a humanoid, back when it was still a technological marvel, would use the primitive technology of the day to calm the agitated spirit and send himself off into the blissful, unknowing dreamful state, which recharged the soul and made it ready for the late bronze age challenges of the next day.

But the particular sound pattern used by such an early humanoid of a bygone era is still available, for nostalgic purposes, to the people of the modern era, even if they mock the unsophisticated nature thereof. And once in a while, despite a long absence from the consciousness of the Bronze Age survivors, this ancient rhythm from a more primitive day brings itself into the modern memory, to remind us whence we came.

And so it did tonight. I do not know why, but the ancient, sacred chant, has taken over my consciousness after a long absence therefrom. Such a spontaneous resurrection of a memory is, perhaps, surprising, but not unwelcome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-E7_VHLvkE
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: The Old Days

Postby g-one » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:03 pm

I was a little worried about getting Rick-rolled, so that was a pleasant surprise. ;)
Another performance from them that I like, same year, different show.

Watch on youtube.com
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Lianachan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:41 pm

g-one wrote:I was a little worried about getting Rick-rolled

I had a surprisingly nice and perfectly normal chat with Rick Astley at one of Prince's parties, in London in 1993.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lianachan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Oh, and it's worth Googling his live appearances with The Foo Fighters :)
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lianachan » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Lianachan wrote:
g-one wrote:I was a little worried about getting Rick-rolled

I had a surprisingly nice and perfectly normal chat with Rick Astley at one of Prince's parties, in London in 1993.

Oh, hang on. Thinking more that was Chesney Hawkes. As you were. Though the Foo Fighters thing is still cool.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:21 pm

g-one wrote:I was a little worried about getting Rick-rolled, so that was a pleasant surprise. ;)

Watch on youtube.com

Another classic! I did not play that one, on repeat, while drifting off to sleep many nights in my youth though . . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby g-one » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Мастер wrote:
g-one wrote:I was a little worried about getting Rick-rolled, so that was a pleasant surprise. ;)

Watch on youtube.com

Another classic! I did not play that one, on repeat, while drifting off to sleep many nights in my youth though . . .

Since you're also a fan of these guys, do you think the opening bass bit is just a coincidence? Eugene came out in '69, Starless in '74.

Watch on youtube.com
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Return to Music, Television and The Movies