HDMI

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

HDMI

Postby Мастер » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:01 pm

So, amazon.com has HDMI cables for as low as 2 USD, the local electronics store has them for as much as 200 USD :shock:

Despite the new television and the new blu-ray player, according to the manuals, I'm watching 480i due to the crappy free cable that came in the box...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Is it a crappy -> HDMI <- ?

If it is, then it shouldn't matter. Digital is digital. Even though HDMI is not an error correcting format, over short runs there is absolutely no need to spend money on a premium cable.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Lance wrote:Is it a crappy -> HDMI <- ?

It is a three cable interface, with two of the cables devoted to audio. I believe that makes it "composite," which is pretty much the bottom feeder of video interfaces.

Lance wrote:If it is, then it shouldn't matter. Digital is digital.

That's what I figured, although I've run into a bunch of people who swear up and down that I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't get a cable that costs more than the blu-ray player.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:20 pm

^ I've run into a bunch of people who swear up and down that I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't get a cable that costs more than the blu-ray player

Well, if you are disapointed, write off the $2 cable and get the $200 one; otherwise, you get the last laugh and $198. :wink:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:03 am

It can get worse: Denon Releases $499 Cable.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Lance » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:33 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Lance wrote:Is it a crappy -> HDMI <- ?

It is a three cable interface, with two of the cables devoted to audio. I believe that makes it "composite," which is pretty much the bottom feeder of video interfaces.

Ah, yes. It's better than an RF (Channel 3/4) hook up, but not by much. You could always use it as a component cable until your HDMI cable arrives. That'll give you true HD.

Lance wrote:If it is, then it shouldn't matter. Digital is digital.

That's what I figured, although I've run into a bunch of people who swear up and down that I'll be sorely disappointed if I don't get a cable that costs more than the blu-ray player.

Those people are wrong. It's true, to some degree, with analog cables but not digital.

I wouldn't get a $2 cable either though. Quality of the materials might lead to insulation failure and connectors breaking or not fitting right. The $10-$20 cables at Tiger Direct work just fine. It's what I've been using.

Funny story:
I was in Radio Shack a few months ago just browsing. And I happened to be in need of an HDMI cable at the time, so I asked the manager if they had any "reasonable" HDMI cables in stock. He had some for $79 and some for $99 but assured me the $79 cable was just fine for most applications.

I replied that I was looking for the $19 cable, which is also just fine for most applications because it is a digital format.

He didn't know how to answer.

I then said "you know, one of these days the consumers are going to catch on to this".

And he replied "yeah, but until then we're going to ride the wave".

Halcyon Dayz wrote:It can get worse: Denon Releases $499 Cable.

That's absurd!

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:41 am

Lance wrote:Ah, yes. It's better than an RF (Channel 3/4) hook up, but not by much. You could always use it as a component cable until your HDMI cable arrives. That'll give you true HD.

But then I will need something else for the audio, right?

Lance wrote:Those people are wrong. It's true, to some degree, with analog cables but not digital.

It just didn't make sense to me that a cable would cost nearly as much as a computer, which moves data around at vastly higher frequencies...

Lance wrote:I wouldn't get a $2 cable either though. Quality of the materials might lead to insulation failure and connectors breaking or not fitting right. The $10-$20 cables at Tiger Direct work just fine. It's what I've been using.

I already ordered a slightly more expensive ($3x) cable from Tiger Direct :P

Lance wrote:Funny story:
I was in Radio Shack a few months ago just browsing. And I happened to be in need of an HDMI cable at the time, so I asked the manager if they had any "reasonable" HDMI cables in stock. He had some for $79 and some for $99 but assured me the $79 cable was just fine for most applications.

I replied that I was looking for the $19 cable, which is also just fine for most applications because it is a digital format.

He didn't know how to answer.

I then said "you know, one of these days the consumers are going to catch on to this".

And he replied "yeah, but until then we're going to ride the wave".

And he was willing to admit that in public? :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:51 am

Lance wrote:Ah, yes. It's better than an RF (Channel 3/4) hook up, but not by much. You could always use it as a component cable until your HDMI cable arrives. That'll give you true HD.

But then I will need something else for the audio, right?

Yeah. You probably have a cheap dual RCA patch cord laying around somewhere though.

Lance wrote:And he replied "yeah, but until then we're going to ride the wave".

And he was willing to admit that in public? :P

Well, anyone who already knows it, knows it. There wouldn't be any reason to try and convince me otherwise because he knows that would just be insulting my intelligence.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Lance wrote:Yeah. You probably have a cheap dual RCA patch cord laying around somewhere though.

Lance, you are amazing :)

Yes, the Blu-ray disk (one of three I bought) looks better this way, and my standard def "Yes Minister" DVDs look less crappy. The volume of the sound is a bit more reasonable this way too, before, I had to turn it up to almost the top of the range...

Simultaneously, I am importing my entire CD collection into iTunes, and then loading them into my iPhone. It looks like it's all going to fit. I'm not sure if that is a statement about how awesome the iPhone is or how pathetic my CD collection is...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Lance wrote:Yeah. You probably have a cheap dual RCA patch cord laying around somewhere though.

Because I suggested you use the composite cable as a component cable, or because I knew you had a dual RCA patch cord laying around?

Thanks!

Glad you got it all working.

Note: Don't expect a vast improvement when going from Component to HDMI. Both formats are true HD, though I think maybe Component won't do 1080p which is what your Blu-Ray disks are.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:07 pm

Lance wrote:

Because I suggested you use the composite cable as a component cable, or because I knew you had a dual RCA patch cord laying around?

Well, both :P

Lance wrote:Note: Don't expect a vast improvement when going from Component to HDMI. Both formats are true HD, though I think maybe Component won't do 1080p which is what your Blu-Ray disks are.

With a blu-ray disk, the component video provides 1080i, which is incredible. Any doubts I had that HD was all hype and no substance, have been swept away.

The difference between analog and digital, even at standard def, in broadcast channels is quite striking. (Currently have no cable or satellite service - will probably get Dish.) We can see the exact same content in a fuzzy, distorted picture, or a perfectly clean picture, at the click of a button...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:32 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Well, both :P

:D

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:With a blu-ray disk, the component video provides 1080i, which is incredible.

Okay, yeah, you'll see the difference going to 1080p in HDMI. Maybe not a vast improvement, buyt definately better.

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Any doubts I had that HD was all hype and no substance, have been swept away.

Ain't it sumthin'?

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:(Currently have no cable or satellite service - will probably get Dish.)

If you go with DirecTV, let me know so I can "refer" you. I think we'd both get a $50 bonus or something.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:40 pm

Lance wrote:If you go with DirecTV, let me know so I can "refer" you. I think we'd both get a $50 bonus or something.

Sorry, we went with Dish :( The guy is here now...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:07 pm

Shoot him. Run him off.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 pm

Lance wrote:Shoot him. Run him off.

Plenty of opportunities. He's been here almost eight hours, and this is on an installation that's using the existing coax cable on the inside, originally put in for cable tv.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Computers and Gadgets