Windows and Fonts

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

Windows and Fonts

Postby Мастер » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:08 am

So, owing to a catastrophic hard disk failure on the laptop, I'm on my old desktop computer. The laptop had Windows 7, and also a home-brew version of Linux. The desktop also has a home-brew version of Linux, but not as well-developed yet (specifically, I don't have the GUI, KDE, installed yet), and Windows XP.

Now, say what you like about Windows 7 (and I had some big problems with it), I do have to say, the fonts on my laptop looked pretty damn good. The fonts on my desktop under Windows XP look, in comparison, like something the dog threw up.

Why is that? The resolution on the desktop is 1440x900, which, while not 1080p HDTV, isn't too far off. So why doesn't it look nice?

Possible explanations:

a) The monitor is rubbish

b) The video adapter is rubbish

c) Windows XP is rubbish

d) Something else?

Thoughts?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Well, it's not "C". The fonts are the same.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Huh.

Maybe it was just a matter of the laptop screen being smaller . . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Windows and Fonts

Postby KLA2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Mactep wrote:So, owing to a catastrophic hard disk failure on the laptop, I'm on my old desktop computer. The laptop had Windows 7, and also a home-brew version of Linux. The desktop also has a home-brew version of Linux, but not as well-developed yet (specifically, I don't have the GUI, KDE, installed yet), and Windows XP.

Now, say what you like about Windows 7 (and I had some big problems with it), I do have to say, the fonts on my laptop looked pretty damn good. The fonts on my desktop under Windows XP look, in comparison, like something the dog threw up.

Why is that? The resolution on the desktop is 1440x900, which, while not 1080p HDTV, isn't too far off. So why doesn't it look nice?

Possible explanations:

a) The monitor is rubbish

b) The video adapter is rubbish

c) Windows XP is rubbish

d) Something else?

Thoughts?

Wow. I have not had one of those for over a decade. Still, I know, a HD is a mechanical, moving device. It is not a question of if, only when, it will fail.

Any identifiable cause? How old was it? Make/model? (This is kind of like slowing down to observe a car crash.)

Hope, hope you were backed up. [-o<

I am running XP (much to the disdain of some) and my resolution seems fine.

I shut up now. I feel like a high jumper giving advice to astronauts. :oops:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: Windows and Fonts

Postby Мастер » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:23 am

KLA2 wrote:Wow. I have not had one of those for over a decade. Still, I know, a HD is a mechanical, moving device. It is not a question of if, only when, it will fail.

2005, 2011, 2012.

KLA2 wrote:Any identifiable cause?

None that I can tell.

KLA2 wrote:How old was it?

1.5 years.

KLA2 wrote:Make/model? (This is kind of like slowing down to observe a car crash.)

WD something-or-other 320 GB, 2.5" drive for laptops. Quite similar to the disk that failed in 2011, although that one was 500 GB.

KLA2 wrote:Hope, hope you were backed up. [-o<

The disk had several Windows (NTFS) partitions, and a Linux partition. The Windows partitions were totally backed up, the Linux partition had been backed up five days before.

A great deal of what I had been working on over those five days, had been emailed to other people, and can likely be recovered that way. A certain amount of email that had been filed away in local folders during that period is almost certainly lost.

KLA2 wrote:I am running XP (much to the disdain of some) and my resolution seems fine.

Well, that's what I'm on now. Some of the fonts look fine, others look like they've been put together with toothpicks.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:11 am

"Windows partitions were totally backed up"

How? Or, using what?

ETA: And if your fonts are funky, should NOT be, that suggests another problem. Virus? Logic and (small) experiance tells me that is not normal for XP. Time to call in the Geek Squad. :lol:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/co ... 28857.aspx
Last edited by KLA2 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:12 am

KLA2 wrote:"Windows partitions were totally backed up"

How? Or, using what?

Last Thursday, I copied (manually) the entire contents of all partitions to an external hard drive. The Linux partition had been modified since that time; the Windows partitions had not.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:20 am

Mactep wrote:
KLA2 wrote:"Windows partitions were totally backed up"

How? Or, using what?

Last Thursday, I copied (manually) the entire contents of all partitions to an external hard drive. The Linux partition had been modified since that time; the Windows partitions had not.

Wow, you replied quickly. I edited my post since.

Was that sheer luck, or do you do that every Thursday? :lol:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:46 am

KLA2 wrote:Was that sheer luck, or do you do that every Thursday? :lol:

It was definitely luck, usually I would have lost a lot more.

I think I'm going to research redundancy/automatic backup. This is not fun. At least the last two times, the disk was largely recoverable (from the 2011 crash, I don't think we lost any data in the end). This time, the disk is 100% dead. Can't even get the computer to acknowledge there's a disk there.

These new ultra-light Macs seem to have no hard disks, but a totally different storage technology.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:11 am

Mactep wrote:These new ultra-light Macs seem to have no hard disks, but a totally different storage technology.

Yep - they use solid-state drives, which are generally smaller in capacity, but have no moving parts nor do they generate the heat normally associated with a hard drive. There can be other problems with them, though: you may wish to do some research about their supposed limitations.

Did you get your font problem fixed?
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Tue May 08, 2012 8:58 pm

The fonts may be the same, but I suspect the technology to draw them is different.

Following these instructions

http://www.ehow.com/how_2001303_make-wi ... etter.html

helped a lot.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Tue May 08, 2012 11:21 pm

That looks like it. Cleartype is installed, but by default disabled, in Windows XP (what is on the computer I was complaining about), but enabled by default in later versions (what is on the laptop, which looks good).
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Computers and Gadgets