Computer Speakers

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

Computer Speakers

Postby Мастер » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:29 am

Are the speakers that come with new computers usually total crap? (In this case, the computer is a Dell desktop, maybe three years old, not particularly high-end at the time.)

I had been bothered somewhat by the fact that the speakers were, even with the volume (both something that looks like the Windows default volume, and the Realtek audio controller volume) cranked up to the maximum, they weren't very loud. This contrasted with this set of headphones I have, where the first click from the bottom is not quite loud enough, but the second click is much too loud, and turning the volume up to the maximum would probably result in hearing damage.

The pair of speakers have one cable that connects the two of them together, then two other cables which go to the computer - a USB plug, and an audio jack. My guess is that the USB plug provides the power, but maybe some control functions as well (e.g., maybe the speakers tell the computer what they are). Should that type of speaker (power coming from the USB plug, assuming I'm correct) normally be on the quiet side?

Moving the speakers around, they stopped working completely! A light inside one of the speakers is still on, so they are getting power, but I can't get sound out of them at all now. So I'm thinking about buying new speakers, but I'm not sure what kind to get, and whether this will solve the problem.
Last edited by Мастер on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 am

The litle speaker sets are like table radios. They make sound you can hear. If you want better sounding audio and at more lively levels, it is just like your home stereo, you can't get it through a table radio. Don't know what sound cards are out there, but a line out signal from the card to inputs of a good stereo will sound tons better than the cheap speakers.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 am

Enzo wrote:The litle speaker sets are like table radios. They make sound you can hear. If you want better sounding audio and at more lively levels, it is just like your home stereo, you can't get it through a table radio. Don't know what sound cards are out there, but a line out signal from the card to inputs of a good stereo will sound tons better than the cheap speakers.

So would the "speaker" output on the sound card be a "line out" signal, or would it be amplified? I'm guessing it is not amplified, but I don't want to discover the hard way that I'm mistaken.

If it is not amplified, then what you describe in the last sentence sounds like a good way to confirm that the problem is the speakers (which, per the OP, are now not working at all).

I have headphones, but they are USB, so I can't use them to diagnose.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Computer Speakers

Postby Lance » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Mactep wrote:Are the speakers that come with new computers usually total crap?

Yes. Absolutely.

I recently needed a set of cheap speaker and got a set of these. They're not great but were very satasfactory and got plenty loud enough for on the desk.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Computer Speakers

Postby Мастер » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Lance wrote:
Mactep wrote:Are the speakers that come with new computers usually total crap?

Yes. Absolutely.

I recently needed a set of cheap speaker and got a set of these. They're not great but were very satasfactory and got plenty loud enough for on the desk.

And quite economical as well. I'll see if I can find some around here.

I was a little reluctant to go out and buy some expensive speakers, plug them in, and then maybe find out that that wasn't the problem. But at the price indicated, it wouldn't be a catastrophic loss.

Thanks to all for suggestions.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:30 pm

I went out and bought some Sonic Gear Morro 250xb speakers. The set cost more than a pint of Guinness served by Hazel, but less than two. In fact, it would be less than one pint of Guinness with a tip only slightly more generous than the one I usually leave if Hazel brings the pint out.

Based on the result, the problem was clearly the speakers. I'm sure a true audiophile would rather die than admit to owning a pair of these, but they leave the old came-with-the-PC speakers in the dust, even back when they still worked. And the volume is more than I would ever use. Definitely a huge improvement.

The old speakers were powered by a USB, these are powered through an AC plug, and we're full up at location where the computer is, so I need to get an adapter or power strip or something, but there's going to be a lot a lot more music on my work-at-home days now.

Along with the speaker jack, there's also a microphone jack, but as nearly as I can tell, that's just a pass-through to a plug on the front of one of the speakers.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Computers and Gadgets