Thunderbird

Post about your cool new gadgets and toys. Ask other users for help with techy problems.

Thunderbird

Postby Мастер » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:36 am

A while back, I started using Thunderbird as my email reader. After a recent "upgrade", I have had all kinds of problems.

Crashes, missing messages, corrupted messages, duplicate messages, phantom placeholder messages (i.e., messages in my inbox with no content, that exist after a duplicate message is copied to another folder), etc.

Recently, I purchased an airline ticket. The email confirmation came to my inbox. Then I received a rather strange message. It was from someone who wanted to meet me for lunch sometime. But, the message began with his signature (i.e., no content), then continued with copies of the messages we had been sending back and forth (quoted and attached to the end of his email), and then continued with the email confirmation of my airline ticket!

At first, I thought I had screwed up, and accidentally sent him my airline email confirmation. But then he would have taken this, attached it to the end of another email I had sent him, and responded to it, with no message, just a signature? That made no sense. All this took place on my work computer. So I got home, read email there (all of this is using IMAP), and his message came through no problem - actual content included, no email airline confirmation attached.

So, the way I look at it, there are two possible culprits here. Thunderbird, my email reader, and gmail, the email provider in question. I'm looking cross-eyed at Thunderbird right now. Any thoughts?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:09 am

I've never used Thunderbird but I agree with your assessment that it's probably the culprit.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 am

There is a "Lightening" add on that has a calendar and task list.

I don't use the task list the way it was designed to be used. I frequently assign a task a due date in the past, in order to move it up to the top (or near the top). Of course, once you do this, if you need to move other things even higher on the list, you need to assign still earlier dates. So I have been doing this for a while - just moving my next due date further and further into the distant past.

I now have things that need to be done in 1860.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:54 am

OK, that does it. Went to look up an email that had an attachment, which is something I'm supposed to comment on. In my local folder for this project, there it is, the email, correct sender, recipient, subject, etc. - and totally different content! The body of the message is from a different, completely unrelated email! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I am trying to configure Zimbra, as we speak . . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:17 am

Have used Eudora since 1995. No problems. Of course, it probably does not do all that you require ... :?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:33 am

That's really strange. True, I am an unassuming user - I sort my e-mails into folders like "Private", "Professional", "Kindergarten", etc.. Otherwise, not much differentiation. But still, it is as if you were describing a totally different software. Whatever I did worked well with Thunderbird...
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:25 am

KLA2 wrote:Have used Eudora since 1995. No problems. Of course, it probably does not do all that you require ... :?

I'm not entirely sure of the history, but I believe Eudora is based on the same code as Thunderbird these days.

Arneb wrote:That's really strange. True, I am an unassuming user - I sort my e-mails into folders like "Private", "Professional", "Kindergarten", etc.. Otherwise, not much differentiation. But still, it is as if you were describing a totally different software. Whatever I did worked well with Thunderbird...

It might be a totally different software. I don't recall having any problems until the versions 3.X starting coming out. It is possible that a reversion to the 2.X versions would solve the problem. I am not sure what version you are running.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Oh, I always do Automated Updates...
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 am

Arrg, two more emails corrupted, in the inbox.

Fortunately, I could go to another computer, since they're IMAP-synced, and read them there.

Feature-wise, I love Thunderbird. I can even include LaTeX-formatted equations in Thunderbird, using a third-party add-on. But this random-email-shredding feature, which can't be disabled (at least not that I can find) is driving me elsewhere.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Computers and Gadgets