Action Plan for Killer Asteroids

For your "out of this world" discussions.

Action Plan for Killer Asteroids

Postby Superluminal » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:55 am

The UN is working on a plan on how to deal with killer asteroids. Does that fill anyone here with confidence?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6370817.stm
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:58 am

Personally, I did not need to filled with confidence on this particular point. . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:06 am

Is Bruce Willis available?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:07 pm

Lance wrote:Is Bruce Willis available?

No, but they hired Danny DeVito for the part.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby The Beer Slayer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:13 pm

What are they going to do, pass a resolution severely chastising any asteroid that intersects our orbit?
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Мастер » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Cruel Redneck wrote:What are they going to do, pass a resolution severely chastising any asteroid that intersects our orbit?

I'm OK with that.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Superluminal » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:05 am

They would argue and argue, and pass resolution after resolution, the U.S. would be forced to act unilaterally and do the only thing that we can do with our present technology: Fire a couple of nukes at it and hope for the best. Then, if we're succesfull at saving the world, they'll pass a resolution condeming the U.S. for using nukes in space. :roll:
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Superluminal wrote:They would argue and argue, and pass resolution after resolution, the U.S. would be forced to act unilaterally and do the only thing that we can do with our present technology: Fire a couple of nukes at it and hope for the best. Then, if we're succesfull at saving the world, they'll pass a resolution condeming the U.S. for using nukes in space. :roll:

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that. Too true. ^ :lol: :lol: :cry:

I think it was Stuart Slade who said on another board (in reference to the missile defense shield) that as it stands now, if a nuclear missile is fired at us, within seconds we know where and when it will hit. For the minutes it takes to arrive, we know this and there is absolutely nothing we can do to prevent it. How would that feel?

Same thing with asteroids, except that timeframe could range from months to centuries. Should we have a plan in place to deflect it?

The geologic history of Earth and all planets / moons indicates it is not a matter of if, but when we are hit by a lethal impact.

If it will be in 100,000 years, foolish to spend money and resources building a system to stop it.

Suppose we detect a lethal object less than a decade from impact. We know this, and there is not enough time to prevent it.

I do not propose we do the “chicken little” thing and pour unlimited resources into building a system to prevent this very unlikely event. I do propose a contingency plan (coupled with other space exploration ventures in a synergistic fashion) to be able to deal with such an event in short (months) order. Know you can do it, if you have to do it.

My modest proposition is to get the world to agree to move the calendar ahead (or behind) by a day, so it misses us by that margin. Works with daylight savings time and the sun … :wink:
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Astronomy / Cosmology / Physics