Oh screw

For your "out of this world" discussions.

Oh screw

Postby Enzo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:16 am

Like the ancient Egyptians and Maya, I watch the sky for omens. This morning in the predawn sky I first noted Orion the Hunter for this season. WHile it is a swell attractive constellation, it is also the harbinger of the coming death and desolation that is winter. When he shows up, summer is trying to wind down. Foo. I like things green and alive - like the dairy products in my refrigerator.

The only positive was that I finally spotted Venus in the morning sky. Due to clouds and whatall - hey, this is Michigan - I had not yet seen her since she left the evening sky. I find solace in her presence up there.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:09 pm

My favourite constellation. Always has been. I am no fan of winter either ... but for anyone interested in astronomy, it means more hours of darkness, starting earlier, and no mosquitoes while viewing! :wink:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Well, for you Michiganders, it may be a harbinger of death, doom and other gloomy things, for us Floridians, it means we'll soon be able to go outdoors and not melt.
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:23 pm

Hey, TA, another simulpost. [weird music} OooohWeeeeHoooo …} :shock:

Re. my comment about mosquitoes, also wanted to mention I was told that insect repellant will etch / destroy the coatings on mirrors, lenses, eyepieces etc. Sprays are particularly dangerous in this respect.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby pmcolt » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:25 pm

The rise of Orion in the night sky is nothing but a positive sign for me. I live in a wooded suburb, which means that in the summer, I'm surrounded by leafy oak trees, nearby city lights, and mosquitoes. (And normally, daily thunderstorms, but we're having a severe drought this year.) But Orion signals the onset of cooler weather; soon the temperatures will drop, the leaves will fall, the mosquitoes will go away, and I'll have a few months of clear, calm skies. (Also, Orion is a hunter, so maybe he'll take down some of the deer that ate every plant in our garden this year. :evil: )

(I'm careful of spraying bug spray anywhere near my optics for that very reason, KLA2. Someone once told me that DEET will strip camouflage paint right off an army tank. I've never tried it myself, mind you, but it sounds like a fun experiment.)
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:47 pm

troubleagain wrote:Well, for you Michiganders, it may be a harbinger of death, doom and other gloomy things, for us Floridians, it means we'll soon be able to go outdoors and not melt.

I was just gonna say the same thing about Arizona!

The winter constellations are really pretty, all those bright stars and clusters.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:36 am

Stars and clusters? Get yourself an army general.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:48 am

Only if that's a brand of binoculars. :lol:
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Astronomy / Cosmology / Physics