Wow!

For your "out of this world" discussions.

Wow!

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:05 am

Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm

Wow! Could be that $100,000 toolkit coming home ... :lol:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha! You're absolutely right there, KLA2!

But in that case, would it be the "Jesus Asteroid?"

Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Arneb » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:49 pm

And even that wouldn't match the rate at which the Space Shuttle program is burning cash. :shock:
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby MM_Dandy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:15 pm

KLA2 wrote:Wow! Could be that $100,000 toolkit coming home ... :lol:

Presumably, USAF Space Command would have said so by now.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:08 am

I saw a fire ball one time when I was working night shift after I returned from Dallas, I was falling asleep on a picnic table at 3:30 AM in the courtyard of the High School, next thing I know SWOOOSH across the sky it went in a beautiful blue-green arc at amazing speed, crossed the sky in less than a second with a wonderful flash as it crossed the horizon. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:27 pm

Meteorite pieces found in Saskatchewan

Fragments of a huge meteorite that lit up the skies across Alberta and Saskatchewan last week have been found near the border city of Lloydminster, University of Calgary scientists say.

U of C planetary scientist Dr. Alan Hildebrand and graduate student Ellen Milley said Friday morning they located several meteorite fragments late Thursday afternoon.

They believe thousands of meteorite bits are strewn over a 20-square-kilometre area near the Battle River.

They're planning to take reporters to the as-yet undisclosed site — about 40 kilometres from Lloydminister — Friday afternoon.

The fireball that streaked across western Canadian skies on Nov. 20 was witnessed by thousands. Researchers believe it was a 10-tonne fragment from an asteroid.

It was also captured on video by a number of people.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/s ... orite.html

I found this readers comment amusing:

"So a 10 tonne object enters our atmosphere and then our air space and crashes to earth in a ball of flames...and all this happens completely undetected?...until reported by people looking out their windows?
Good to see all that money we are funelling to NORAD to protect our air space is not being wasted! But all is not lost, I hear they are still able to track Santa Claus on Christmas Eve."

10 tonnes? That's pretty big. I assume it was more a "dirty snowball" than iron, or it would have made some big hole! :shock:

For anyone that wants to convert weight to volume, here is a site:

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/weight2volume
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Dragon Star wrote:I saw a fire ball one time when I was working night shift after I returned from Dallas, I was falling asleep on a picnic table at 3:30 AM in the courtyard of the High School, next thing I know SWOOOSH across the sky it went in a beautiful blue-green arc at amazing speed, crossed the sky in less than a second with a wonderful flash as it crossed the horizon. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Sounds way cool, DS. I have never observed such a thing.

As for the picnic table part ... "don't ask, don't tell." :lol:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:09 am

KLA2 wrote:10 tonnes? That's pretty big. I assume it was more a "dirty snowball" than iron, or it would have made some big hole! :shock:

I'm not so sure it's something we need to worry about so much; a 10-tonne solid iron meteorite would be something like a sphere with a 1.3 m diameter. Objects of that size hit the Earth's atmosphere on the order of once every 1 - 2 years, and never reach the ground intact.

While I was getting the info to do the calculations, I came across this Universe Today update. Which roughly agreed with my calculated size (it calls it desk-sized), but completely blew away my estimate of frequency.

...a fireball this size only occurs over Canada once every five years on average. About ten fireballs of this size occur somewhere over the Earth each year.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby KLA2 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:40 pm

I'm not so sure it's something we need to worry about so much; a 10-tonne solid iron meteorite would be something like a sphere with a 1.3 m diameter. Objects of that size hit the Earth's atmosphere on the order of once every 1 - 2 years, and never reach the ground intact.

Are you sure? I thought it was the little ones that were slowed by atmospheric resistance and did little damage on impact.

A ten tonne (that’s 22,046 pounds, 22 tons) solid iron meteorite that did not break up high in the atmosphere … assuming speed of 25,000 mph … that’s (F=MV) 550 kilotons of force? (Forgetting my high school physics) :oops: The meteorite or associated shockwave would have to do some damage, no? :shock:

Too lazy to research this, :oops: but there are others here who will know offhand. Probably you, MM Dandy. Just, I did not realize our atmosphere protected us that well from something that massive and dense. :?

ETA: Oh, crap. I just realized I converted wrong ... 22,046 lbs is 11 tons.
Therefore, presumably, only 275 kilotons. Never mind. :oops: :roll:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:46 pm

And that is the mass before the atmosphere grinds the outer parts away?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 pm

Enzo wrote:And that is the mass before the atmosphere grinds the outer parts away?

Well, as I understand it, if it does not break up upon contact with the atmosphere, the meteorite creates a shock wave in front of it. It is this shock wave of compressed air that becomes so hot and appears as a fiery trail. The actual meteorite itself does not burn, melt or even necessarily become heated through. (There are reports of meteorites picked up just after landing being cold to the touch.)

Solid iron, being ... well ... iron does not easily break up, and so the meteorite may hit the ground intact. If it is large enough, the atmosphere will not slow it down significantly and compresses in front of it, creating a shock wave over a fairly small area as damaging as the meteorite on impact.

But, I am out of my depth here. Anyone?
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:01 pm

There is plenty of energy to break up the projectile. We all remember Columbia, don't we? The meteorite we see on the Universe Today website is about the size of a small potato, while the original (exactly, Enzo, before entry) 10 ton impactor was, acording to Fraser, "as big as a desk".

The BA has a page on why must meteorites you will find are cold to the touch here. In short: The meteorite gets very hot during entry (most of them literally explode from heat and air resistance) , but a) most of the fragments are from the inside of the projectile, so they don't heat up that much, and b) they have a long way to fall through the atmosphere, which is very cold up high, so they have a long time to fall in a bit of a cold breeze and thus cool off.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:58 am

Hey Scott, there's a name for our band - Iron Potato

or maybe Space Potato
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:51 pm

We'll have to get Mactep as the front man and KLA2 as the Toaster.

Heh heh heh ... no Jamaican accent, but a heavy, heavy Canadian one, eh? "Yah! Get some riddim dere, eh?" :D

Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby troubleagain » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:27 pm

I can sing harmony. 8)
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:14 pm

ENZO
SAY
RELAX

MACTEP
SAY
OBEY

:lol:

Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby troubleagain » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm really not very good at "obey"..... :?
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:21 am

Must ... bite ... tongue ... avoid ... severe ... beating ...

Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:16 am

You.. like... beatings... remember?

Yah, dat's rockin' now, eh?

Obey, como va? by Sam Tanner
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Must ... bite ... tongue ... avoid ... severe ... beating ...

Scott

Yes? :glp-whip:
-------------------
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:35 am

Not like that, Mistress!

Heh heh heh ...

Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:We'll have to get Mactep as the front man and KLA2 as the Toaster.

Heh heh heh ... no Jamaican accent, but a heavy, heavy Canadian one, eh? "Yah! Get some riddim dere, eh?" :D

Scott

The Toaster?? Maybe, The Male Box. {thank you (?), Enzo.} Yeah {I mean, Right}, that's it. Chicks could shove $10 bills into my ... well. Oiled machinery.

Just as long as we don't play any gay bars.

In which case, Billy T. could stand in for me.

{OK, that WAS below the belt. Any due apologies rendered. :wink: }
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:10 am

Arneb wrote:There is plenty of energy to break up the projectile. We all remember Columbia, don't we?

Come on, Arneb. A space shuttle* is more like an eggshell than a solid iron meteorite. (If there is such a thing)

If there is, I am not sure it would burn up, slow up, or break up much, on entry. If the latter, would the pieces not hit the ground with as much combined force as the whole?

* Even the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo capsules were more space than substance. They floated after landing. And were designed to burn off the resin based heat shield to slow down on reentry.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:53 pm

My point was just that their is a lot of entry energy to heat the projectile and break it apart, hollow or not.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Return to Astronomy / Cosmology / Physics