RIP John Esser

Discussions of things currently in the news.

RIP John Esser

Postby Enzo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:42 am

No, no one you would know. Well BM65 might know who he was.

John was the drummer in the band I was with in the 1970s. I encountered Universal Family in the late 1960s. As I approached, they were looking for a bass player, the old guy wanted to leave. And the lead singer (sax player and top hat wearer and school science teacher) had left Really talented guitarist to take over lead vocals. John on drums. Rob was the new bassist, and somewhere in there was Ken the organist. We called Ken "Nith" as in short for Kenneth. Me? With my major shortage of talent, I played the occasional polka on the organ or sometimes played guitar, and sometimes I did vocals. Mainly I ran the sound system.

Ken was the first to go, he had connected with a girl on tour and married her. They were in a hotel in Las Vegas having an argument and Ken stormed out the door and fell off the balcony to his death. The guitarist went to Chicago and finished is degree in Pharmacy... And committed suicide. I bumped into Rob one day at a local tech company, he was now a finish carpenter. A few months later, I heard he had passed on. And now a week ago or so John died suddenly, leaving me the only remaining member of that band.

At some point the band shortened the name to just Universe, and I left around 1973, and the band continued on with some other people in it, so there are still some surviving members of the band, but not from my era.

John was still active as a player, he had a trio he performed in. He also had a recording studio locally, and found time to run for Township Board. The guy is my age, and he leaves behind a fiancé.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: RIP John Esser

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Heard you talk about him in the band and think I ran into him in Elderly Instruments. Sorry for your loss, Enzo. To be the last man standing is not all it’s cracked up to be.
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:18 pm

That sucks Enzo, sorry.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:09 pm

Sorry to hear that.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lance » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:00 pm

:(
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Arneb » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Dear Enzo, I am very sorry for that loss. I know memories aren't always a consolation
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby g-one » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:44 pm

Sorry to hear this.
It is nice that he was able to continue playing so long, drumming being so physically demanding. Generally I think drummers are the most prone to early retirement among musicians.
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Enzo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Actually John was unusual as a drummer. He was thin with a skeletal appearance. His mother had some disease or other during pregnancy, so he came out having no sweat glands. Or teeth for that matter. He tried very hard to be healthy. On hot gigs, especially outdoor gigs in the sun, we'd mist him and play fans on him to help cool him. He once told me it was like being sealed in wax.

John's health diet regimen had him eating a lot of tahini, so we often teased him about living on bird seed.

One time at a gig in Flint, Michigan, a fellow walked into the club who looked EXACTLY like John. John couldn't contain himself and went over and chatted with the guy. Sure enough, that guy's mother had the same affliction during pregnancy.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 am

Bugger
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht