Shine on...

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Shine on...

Postby Enzo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:24 am

Many years ago I used to enjoy some corn whiskey. Not bourbon, just plain corn whiskey. The brand I liked at the store was Georgia Moon. The name to invoke the image of moonshine - the illegal whiskey distilled in hidden places. Of course Georgia Moon was not illegal stuff. But it comes in a Mason jar, and says right on the label, "Less than 30 days old."

It is actually pretty smooth and tasty. SO I had a hankering for some. I looked all over. None of my regular haunts had it. I tried the larger liquor stores...nope. Finally yesterday, I ventured into MEGA-BEV, a truly large house of booze. ANd they had the stuff. It apparently also now comes in peach or apple, but I am a purist, insofar as one can be a purist with such a thing. So I bought a jar.

My little brush with fame story: Back about 1971, there was an all day music fest in Grand Haven, Michigan, on the Lake Michigan shoreline. The stage was over the water and the stands faced the water. The music started at like 10AM, and each band played most of an hour, then the next group set up. Earlier acts were local and regional bands. Our band played early afternoon at some point. The closer that day was Bob Seger sometime that evening, the star act. Prior to him was Teegarden & Van Winkle, a group of some popularity, and who also played as part of Seger's band in those days. SO we played, then struck our stage and set things aside to load into our big truck.

The show went well enough for us, and we were enjoying the other acts. I was sitting in the back of our truck with another of us, and up walks Bob Seger. He was just wandering around meeting all the bands and hanging out. It was hours before he had to play. Mad Dog and I were sitting there listening to the music and enjoying some Georgia Moon. Mr.Seger (I hesitate to call him Bob) complimented our guitarist saying, "I wish I could play like that." Our guy was pretty good, fancied himself as Jimi Hendrix. Said he enjoyed our set. So we offered him a shot of Georgia Moon. By god, he took us up on it and had a glass. I must say, he was just a real nice guy and genuine. No big rock star affect. Sat there sipping his whiskey and chatting for a while.

SO I am enjoying a glass right now.

E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: Shine on...

Postby Heid the Ba » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Great story, if I ever gat back over that way I’ll try some of that whiskey too.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:26 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:Great story, if I ever gat back over that way I’ll try some of that whiskey too.

Yes, this for me too (exactly, except the word “back”).
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Enzo » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:20 pm

I always had a hankering for some real moonshine, just to have the experience. I have kin in that part of the country, but to walk into someplace and try to ask for it will immediately tag me as some sort of policeman.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lianachan » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm

I may, or may not (taps nose knowingly), have some experience of such illicit refreshments. Perhaps that’s why I am blind and have no teeth.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Enzo » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:24 am

Wait, is blind and toothless a prerequisite for making it or a result of partaking in it?
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Arneb » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:57 am

Aaah, it's like eating blowfish: If you don't feel at least a little bit of poisoning, it's not the real deal.

I bought a jar with something masquerading as moonshine whisky once at a Hamburg supermarket. The results were predictable. 37 % alc b.v, "Deutsches Erzeugnis", thin, yellowish, not tasting of anything in particular. And not erven a hint of a vision defect.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby tubeswell » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:13 am

Wonder what Bob Seger is up to these days?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Enzo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:30 pm

Most recent news was when his long time sax man, Alto Reed (born Tommy Cartmell), died late last year. Seger said he didn't think he could ever tour again without Reed. He was retiring anyway I think, because he had a "Farewell Tour" a couple years ago. Whatever a farewell tour means in this biz. Seger is 76, I just looked that up.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:16 am

Less than 30 days old.

So, I remember Teahouse of the August Moon, set during the American occupation of Japan.

Trying the locally produced liquor, the American officer (Marlon Brando?) is surprised at how good it is, and asks about it. The answer comes in Japanese, which he doesn’t understand, but the Japanese character holds up seven fingers while speaking. So the American officer expresses surprise, asking, this liquor is seven years old? The interpreter answers, no, he made it last week :D
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Here There Be Llamas